Bideford and Appledore, two beautiful towns in North Devon, England, captivate visitors with their rich maritime heritage, scenic beauty, and vibrant communities.
Bideford, a historic market town on the River Torridge, boasts elegant Georgian architecture and a thriving Pannier Market.
Appledore, a beautiful fishing village across the estuary, showcases narrow streets, colourful cottages, and a shipbuilding legacy.
Together, these towns offer stunning views, coastal walks, cultural attractions like art galleries and museums, and beautiful beaches like Westward Ho!
But, how you will get to these places?
Bideford to Appledore
A short distance across the estuary from Bideford lies the beautiful fishing village of Appledore.
Connected by a stunning coastal pathway, these neighbouring towns in North Devon offer a delightful experience for visitors.
Bideford’s Georgian architecture, bustling market, and riverside beauty seamlessly transition into Appledore’s winding streets, colourful cottages, and maritime heritage.
With their close proximity and unique coastal allure, exploring Bideford to Appledore unveils a captivating journey through the beauty and history of this coastal region and there are different transportation options that you can use.
Bideford to Appledore by Car
Travelling by car from Bideford to Appledore takes around 26 minutes for a distance of 3.8 miles. Here’s a suggested route:
- Head north on Grenville St, then turn right onto Bridge St.
- Take Old Bideford Bridge/B3233 at the roundabout.
- Continue on Barnstaple St/B3233.
- Turn right towards S W Coast Path/National Cycle Rte 27/National Cycle Rte 3, then left onto S W Coast Path/National Cycle Rte 27/National Cycle Rte 3.
- Follow S W Coast Path/National Cycle Rte 27, then take Marine Parade and turn left onto S W Coast Path.
- Take the ferry to Appledore (check its operating schedule).
- Continue on S W Coast Path, then turn right onto The Quay.
- Take Vernons Ln and turn right onto Alpha Pl.
- Arrive at Appledore.
While visiting Bideford or Appledore, don’t miss out on the top 9 places not to miss out on when travelling to Bideford.
Bideford to Appledore by Train
Travelling to Appledore from Bideford via train involves the following information:
The nearest train station to Appledore is Barnstaple Train Station, which is approximately 9 miles away from Appledore.
From Bideford, you can reach Barnstaple Train Station by bus or taxi.
There are bus routes available from Bideford to Barnstaple, with a travel time of around 30 minutes. Once you arrive at Barnstaple Train Station, you can either take a taxi or catch a bus to Appledore.
The journey by train from Barnstaple to Appledore is not directly possible as there is no train station in Appledore.
However, buses or taxis are available from Barnstaple to Appledore, which takes approximately 20-25 minutes.
Overall, the travel time from Bideford to Appledore via train and bus/taxi combination can vary but typically takes around 1 to 1.5 hours, considering the transfer at Barnstaple Train Station.
Please note that it’s advisable to check the current bus schedules and availability of services, as they may be subject to change.
Other Transport Options
To travel to Appledore from Bideford via taxi or private vehicle transport, here’s the relevant information:
- Travel Time: The journey typically takes around 15-20 minutes, depending on traffic conditions and the chosen route.
- Cost: The approximate cost of a taxi ride from Bideford to Appledore is around £10-£15. However, prices may vary based on factors such as time of day, demand, and the taxi company.
Using a private vehicle for transportation would incur fuel costs, which would depend on the vehicle’s fuel efficiency and prevailing fuel prices.
It’s important to note that these travel time and cost estimates are subject to change based on various factors, so it’s advisable to check with local taxi companies or use GPS navigation systems for the most accurate information.
If you’re looking to travel from Bideford to Appledore by walking or biking, here’s the information you need:
- Travel Time: The walking distance between Bideford and Appledore is approximately 2 miles, which would take around 40 minutes to 1 hour to walk, depending on your pace.
- Route: You can follow the scenic Tarka Trail, a popular walking and cycling path that runs along the estuary. Start by heading east along the Quay in Bideford and join the Tarka Trail. Continue on the trail, following the signs for Appledore. The path offers beautiful views of the estuary and passes through picturesque countryside. After crossing the bridge into Appledore, you’ll reach the village centre.
- Travel Time: Cycling from Bideford to Appledore takes approximately 15 to 20 minutes, depending on your cycling speed.
- Route: Similar to the walking route, you can take the Tarka Trail for a scenic bike ride. Begin by heading east along the Quay in Bideford and join the Tarka Trail. Follow the signs for Appledore as you cycle along the estuary. The trail is relatively flat and well-paved, making it suitable for cyclists of various skill levels. Once you cross the bridge into Appledore, you’ll arrive at the village centre.
Both walking and biking along the Tarka Trail offer enjoyable experiences with picturesque views of the estuary and surrounding countryside.
Remember to wear comfortable footwear and appropriate safety gear if you choose to walk or cycle.
Appledore to Instow Ferry
While not a direct ferry between Bideford and Appledore, it is worth mentioning the boat ferry that exists between Appledore and Instow. You can read more about the Appledore & Instow ferry here.
Why go to Appledore?
Appledore is a coastal gem known for its beautiful harbour, vibrant cottages, and maritime heritage.
With stunning views, artistic flair, and nature trails, it attracts visitors seeking a tranquil retreat, artistic inspiration, and coastal adventures.
The village also hosts engaging festivals and events throughout the year, making it a captivating destination for culture lovers.
Discover the unique allure of Appledore, where coastal beauty meets artistic beauty.
Featured Places to Stay Near Bideford
Appledore to Bideford
Appledore to Bideford, a short distance along the North Devon coast, offers a delightful journey from a coastal pathway to a historic market town.
Appledore’s scenic harbour, colourful cottages, and maritime heritage create a beautiful atmosphere, while Bideford welcomes visitors with its elegant Georgian architecture, cobbled streets, and bustling Pannier Market.
Whether by bus, taxi, or private vehicle, the convenient transportation options make it easy to explore Bideford’s attractions, shops, and restaurants before returning to the tranquil ambience of Appledore.
Embark on this coastal connection and experience the best of both worlds.
7 Reasons Why You Should ABSOLUTELY AVOID Instow
Things to do in Appledore
There are many things that you can do in Appledore, here are some of the highlights of what you can experience ensuring a memorable visit to this beautiful coastal village.
- Explore the Quayside: Take a stroll along the stunning quayside, admire the stunning harbour, and watch the boats go by.
- Visit the Maritime Museum: Learn about Appledore’s rich maritime heritage at the Maritime Museum, which showcases the village’s shipbuilding history and displays interesting pieces.
- Discover the Art Galleries: Appledore is known for its artistic community, so be sure to explore the various galleries and studios showcasing local artwork and crafts.
- Enjoy Watersports: Make the most of the coastal location by engaging in watersports such as kayaking, paddleboarding, or windsurfing.
- Walk the Coastal Path: Take a scenic walk along the Southwest Coast Path, which offers breathtaking views of the coastline and opportunities to spot wildlife.
Things to do in Bideford
Nestled on the banks of the River Torridge, Bideford is a historic market town in North Devon with a wealth of attractions and activities to offer visitors.
Here’s a brief list of things to do in Bideford:
- Explore the Pannier Market: Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of Bideford’s Pannier Market, where you can browse a variety of stalls offering local produce, crafts, and unique treasures.
- Discover Bideford’s History: Take a step back in time and explore the town’s rich history through landmarks such as the historic Bideford Long Bridge and the Burton Art Gallery & Museum, which showcase local heritage.
- Enjoy Riverside Walks: Take a leisurely stroll along the beautiful quayside, admiring the river views and beautiful boats, or venture further along the Tarka Trail, a scenic walking and cycling route.
- Visit the Northam Burrows Country Park: Just a short distance from Bideford, this nature reserve offers breathtaking landscapes, wildlife sightings, and sandy beaches perfect for a relaxing day out.
Immerse yourself in the allure of Bideford and Appledore, two captivating towns in North Devon, England.
With their maritime heritage, scenic beauty, and vibrant communities, these stunning destinations have something for everyone.
Explore Bideford’s elegant Georgian architecture, bustling market, and riverside attractions.
Experience Appledore’s winding streets, colourful cottages, and maritime legacy.
Whether you choose to travel by car, train, walking, or cycling, the journey between these towns promises a memorable adventure.
Don’t miss Appledore’s tranquil harbour, artistic flair, and coastal activities, while Bideford invites you to discover its history, riverside walks, and beautiful market.
Embark on a remarkable coastal getaway in Bideford and Appledore.
Westward Ho! is just a few minutes around the corner from Appledore and have a travel guide from Bideford to Westward Ho! that you can use for your next adventure.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How much is a taxi from Appledore to Bideford?
A: A taxi ride from Appledore to Bideford typically costs around £9 – £12 and takes approximately 6 minutes for a distance of 3.3 miles.
Q: How do I travel from Appledore to Bideford without a car?
A: The best way to travel from Appledore to Bideford without a car is by taking a taxi. The taxi ride takes around 6 minutes and provides a convenient transportation option.
Q: What is Appledore known for?
A: Appledore is known for its lively calendar of local events, including the annual Appledore Book Festival. It offers a vibrant cultural scene and attracts visitors with its engaging festivals and events.
Q: Does Appledore have a beach?
A: Yes, Appledore Beach in North Devon is situated on the estuary of the Taw and Torridge rivers. It is a sandy beach that is popular with families during the summer.
Q: Why is Bideford famous?
A: Bideford gained fame as the setting for the novel “Westward Ho!” by author Charles Kingsley. A small seaside town was built in Bideford after the publication of the book, which added to its significance.
Our newsletter is packed with helpful tips and resources to help you mazimise your time in & around Bideford. Sign up now and join our community of savvy Bideford’ers.
About the Author
Welcome to Bideford.com! I’m Matt, a seasoned explorer and avid fan of Bideford and the broader North Devon area. With over a decade of consistent family visits, virtually every weekend, I’ve immersed myself in the rich history and vibrant culture Bideford & North Devon.
On this site, you’ll find a wealth of knowledge amassed from my adventures here. From in-depth local guides to engaging blog posts about Bideford. Whether you’re looking for recommendations on things to do or guidance on where to stay we have you covered. Join me as we delve into the heart of Bideford, North Devon – a town that’s more than just a destination, but an experience waiting to be discovered.
Do you want to see your favourite Bideford attraction, place to stay, event or activity listed here? Contact Us!